Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My week without washing machine

This week was a horrible week for me. Our washing machine died a natural death...cannot be resusitated...it just went off.......powerless... After 4 years of faithful service to our clothes...we finally bid farewell to our washing machine.....

I discovered its end when our laundry hamper was skimping for space...time for WM to work. So i sort the clothes and placed the first batched in and turn the WM on when it isn't responding to my demand anymore.....Oh my...I thought...as a look again at my overflowing hamper......no this cant be..Right that moment i quickly dialled my kabayan technician to see if he can come over and check our WM...after 3 hours Kuya Technician came and check the WM and finally he said the final verdict....NO CHANCE - you just have to buy a new one.... O my... I said it again...thinking about the overflowing hamper...

Very well , I said,I can manage.This should be easy, Im trained to do this... no fear. So here come the heroic supermom in action, first i started to sort the clothes and send the formal ones and the pants( which is heavy for handwash) to laundry and left the kids clothes for my newly manicured hands.

I sat on our small toilet and start rubbing my hands in each clothes...kuskus..piga...kuskus...piga...the first batched was easy...so i took another batched ( it was almost a week of dirty clothes of 5 people who changes clothes more than 3x a day- because of the extreme heat) .. as i fill more garments in....i began to feel discomfort with my dripping sweat... (imagine doing a laundry with a hot water ( around 32-35 degrees) in a sauna like bathroom ( 45*C- with small ventilation ) what more , my arms drooped with the uncomfortable position and i felt burning sensation on my hands as I use a detergent for the machine...after completing the second batched i was soaked with sweat, water and tears.....cant do this anymore....whahhhhh....I felt i have drained all my electrolytes....my heroic appeal have given up....

Believed me...its tough...I was wondering how our parents survived the old times when washing machine was not yet invented. I know, I was trained to do handwashing in my early years but since it has been a while since i did this...cant believe how I have been over dependent on this contraption....that doing the basics is already a difficult task for me.

This is the age when our time is conveniently manage with the gadgets that aids us ....specially us ,women, to do our house duties, parenting task and wife roles and at the same time keeping on with our goals, careers and vanity... It made me realized how much we need washing machine, vacuum cleaners, dryers, rice cookers, microwave, steam iron, mobile phones and even hair straigthening iron and curlers to manage our day.

After 3 days of doing handwashing, i have stopped grumbling and complaining...instead I started to teach myself to be thankful that I have live in this age where I can use the help of this machine so I can go on and do other things that are more important. I still do piece by piece, rubbing the clothes one by one...as a new WM is still to come...Just be thankful...least we can afford to buy a new one.

1 comment:

  1. nice one... i can imagine at this point of time, more than half of the population in the world will not survive if the power that run these machines will be gone. i can't even live a day without opening my laptop.

    ReplyDelete